Thursday, May 1, 2008

Southern Hospitality

Had a road trip to the Carolina's for work this week. When I left home Tuesday morning it was 38 degrees and raining. I arrived in Spartanburg, SC around 3:30 and it was sunny with temps in the low 60's. After checking in at my hotel I drove the Bikeways SC shop in Boiling Springs for a group ride I found on the Spartanburg Freewheeler's website. There were about 9 guys there and we had a really nice ride. The terrain was fairly flat. The pace wasn't as intense as our Tuesday night roll: rides, but we rode at a nice clip and we averaged around 20 mph for the 2 hour ride. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I really had a nice time. You could tell these guys ride together frequently - we were in a revolving pace line the entire night and it was pretty smooth.

Last night I was in Goldsboro, NC and did not have an opportunity to ride.

Tonight I rolled into Durham, NC and was not able to hook up on any group rides. However, I checked out ncbikeclub.org and found Blue Jay Park outside of Raleigh which, based on all the multi-colored Dan Henry arrows at all the intersections, seems to be a very popular cycling area. I was able to get on the bike around 5:30 for about 1.5 hours and rode at a pretty easy pace. The roads were smooth and the traffic was light. The terrain was hillier than Tuesday and it felt good to do a bit of easy climbing. The weather was great with temps around 80 degrees.

Tomorrow I have an early morning meeting and then it is back on the road for Ohio.

No comments: