Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No More Cycling Heroes

A few weeks ago my good friend Marco asked if I had any cycling heroes. Most people when asked this question would likely name off any number of cycling superstars who currently ply their trade at the top of our sport. There was a time not so long ago when I would have responded the same way.

My adoration of big time cyclists came to an end during what for me was a watershed moment in the 2007 Tour de France. Only days before the race’s conclusion in Paris Michael Rasmussen, who was leading the race and was the almost certain winner, was pulled by the organizers for missed drug tests and an alleged breach in his travel and training routine. It was painful for me to watch Michael implode during the final time trial of the 2006 Tour de France so his success in 2007 was exciting to me and I was cheering him on each day as the race moved toward the Champs Elysees. When Michael was pulled from the race and the winner’s yellow jersey was awarded to the 2nd place rider I was just short of devastated. Then to pour salt in the wound Alexander Vinokourov, one of my favorite riders because of his aggressive and tenacious riding style, was ejected for doping. These events came on the heels of scandals involving Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis; two other cyclists I once greatly admired. For me, this marked the end of big time cycling heroes.

So I was less than shocked when I read this week that Tom Boonen is under investigation for possession of cocaine. I admire Tom’s talent and strength and even posted a congratulatory entry after he won Paris Roubaix this past Spring. But unfortunately Tom is one more example of how much more is needed to clean up our sport. I know cocaine is not a performance-enhancing drug but that matters little in this case. We see professional cyclists on TV or the Internet each week during race season but we don’t know much about them at all. Who dopes? Who is clean? I have no idea. These are definitely not the stuff of heroes. It now looks like Boonen is out of this year’s Tour and I wonder who will win the green jersey? I’m afraid I don’t care as much this year.

I still watch races on Versus because I love the sport itself. Even as a racer of limited talent and ability I know enough about cycling to appreciate the strategy, teamwork and suffering involved in our beautiful sport. But something is now missing in my feelings toward the racers themselves. Call it a self defense mechanism, but I have grown weary of being disappointed by someone I hold in high regard.

Has pro cycling made an effort to clean itself up? Definitely. Do they still have a long, long way to go? Absolutely. Until the pro riders prove to me they are clean and respectable I will reserve my admiration for a group more deserving.

No comments: