Saturday, July 25, 2009

July has been a tough month for cyclists here in central Ohio. For me, a good friend and team mate experienced a painful race-related crash that required an extended hospital stay as part of his recovery. And, along with countless area cyclists, I experienced the tragic loss of a kind, safe and well respected rider. The sad details of this fatal accident are well known so I won’t elaborate on them here.

This morning I read a post from a cycling friend in which, as a result of last week’s cycling fatality, he shares his feelings regarding the dangers of our sport and some questions he has about getting back on his bike and riding on the roads. I guess I’ve been having those same thoughts as well.

Unfortunately serious bike accidents on the road can stir up feelings of “us against them” between cars and cyclists. Some motorists feel cyclists are dangerous obstacles that have no place on the road while some cyclists feel motorists resent cyclist’s legal rights to be there. These conflicting perspectives put me in a bit of a tough spot.

I am a cyclist and I love this sport. For me it is much more than a hobby or fitness activity. Cycling is a lifestyle and a way of life. My friends are cyclists, my vacations are cycling related and my free time is spent racking up thousands of miles each year. Cycling defines the person I am.

I’m also a motorist. My job requires that I drive around 50,000 miles each year visiting customers throughout Ohio, the adjoining states and beyond. Unfortunately bike commuting is not an option for me but I support (and sometime envy) my friends who have the wonderful opportunity to choose this healthy and environmentally friendly mode of transport.

I try to use my “dual role” perspective to be a safe driver who is considerate of cyclists I encounter on the road and to be a safe, predictable cyclist who is aware that I share the road with motorists facing their own share of daily challenges. I think most folks feel the same way. But it is that small minority of inconsiderate or distracted individuals we need to be aware of when we are behind the wheel or on the saddle.

In the end I acknowledge the dangers of road cycling and plan to continue doing so because of the enjoyment and quality of life it provides. While this past weekend’s tragedy demonstrates that safe riding does not eliminate serious dangers, I’ll ride as carefully and defensively as I can to reduce these risks as much as possible. I’m also hopeful that increased awareness and empathy between motorists and cyclists will help make our roads safer for everyone.

No comments: