Monday, August 17, 2009

County Fair Time

Every year the company I work for supports the Champaign County Fair by bidding on animals that are owned by our employee’s kids who are active in 4H. The Champaign County Fair was this past week so I attended and bid on a rabbit and two meat pens of chickens. My company was the winning bidder for all three sales and the kids seemed to really appreciate our support & participation. The kids are always pleased to learn that we let them keep their animals and I’m always pleased I don’t have to tote any pens of livestock back home with me to the city.

My co worker's daughter with her Grand Champion Rabbit!

This was probably my 5th or 6th year of bidding on the 4H animals and it is always a lot of fun. This year the rabbit we bought was “Grand Champion” so the local news paper took our picture and my company received some nice pub in the local paper. Champaign County has one of the largest 4H programs in the state (4H began in neighboring Clark County in the early 1900’s) and one of the parents I spoke to this year said the Champaign County fair displays more animals and horticulture than the Ohio State Fair.

No comments: