Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Ice Storm Cometh

For most of this week the weather folks had been forecasting freezing rain and potential power outages. It turns out that they knew what they were talking about. The rain and sleet began falling early yesterday afternoon and by around 6:00 or so there was a shiny layer of ice covering everything.

As darkness fell in my neighborhood I began hearing distant tree limbs snap under the weight of freezing ice and there were a couple of loud pops followed by bursts of green light as transformers failed, adding to the power outages in Central Ohio that currently effect over 50,000 homes.

Late last night I received a phone call and was told my office was under a Level 3 weather emergency so I did not have to make the precarious drive to work. Under normal conditions I drive an hour to my office and I can only imagine how long my commute would have been today. I'm sure it will still be a white knuckle drive tomorrow morning.

I heard someone on the local news say Ohio's groundhog did not see his shadow this morning so we will have an early Spring. I sure hope so.

No comments: