Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hocking Hills Road Race

Andy Will, Josh Morrow and I represented teamroll: today at the Tour of Hocking Hills. We were able to race together since the 1-2, 3-4 and Masters rolled out together. It was great for me to race with my teammates.

Hocking Hills is always a tough race since it includes the Jack Run and Cantwell Cliffs climbs. Jack Run is the shorter of the two climbs but it is also steeper and many of us racing felt it is the tougher of the 2 climbs. This was also the first race of the season that had hot temperatures and I was definitely feeling the heat by the time we were finished.

Before we were one mile into the race Devin Hurst, a young rider from Savage Hill, made a strong attack off the front. After several miles we reeled him back in and most of us probably thought that was the end of that. After the climb up Jack Run he made another attack that stayed clear for a few miles. We eventually reeled him back in and after a few miles he took off again. Devin ended up making 4 attacks and a few riders jumped on his last one and they were gone. Devin ended up winning today's 3-4 race and I was very impressed with his aggressive riding. I'm sure we will be seeing more from Devin in the future.

Josh climbed really well and rode a great race today. He jumped onto a break with 3 riders during the last lap and they stayed away until the end. Josh finished up strong in 6th place.

Andy Will also rode strong today and finished 2nd in the 1-2 race. I believe he also secured 2nd place overall in the Spring series.

In the Masters race I stayed close to the Mighty Scott Young. Scott is a strong climber so I knew I would have my work cut out for me. We stayed with the main group until reaching the top of Jack Run on the final lap. At that point 4 of us drifted off the pace and rode together to the finish. Scott, Mike Carroll and I pulled clear on the finial climb to the finish and I was able to sneak across at the end for 1st in Masters.

Today's race completed the Team Columbus Spring Series so my lucky number 708 can be retired. Overall the series was safe and well run. Everyone I talked to really enjoyed the racing. As mentioned in past posts, larger fields would be the icing on the cake and hopefully we will see the number of participants increase. With so many races so close to home at a time when gas prices are pushing $4.00 a gallon, it really makes sense to support local racing in Central Ohio. Team Columbus is offering several more races this season and they can be seen on the Team Columbus schedule.

No comments: