Friday, May 30, 2008

I'm not a pro cyclist but I did stay at a Days Inn last night.

This was another travel week for work and last night I stayed overnight just off the Pennsylvania turnpike near Murraysville since I had an early meeting in East Pittsburgh this morning. My first choices in lodging (Hampton Inn & Holiday Inn) were booked up for the night so perhaps I was lucky to find a room at the nearby Days Inn. The room was only $61.00 and the girl at the front desk asked if I was paying "cash or charge?". Having never heard that question before at a hotel and, since they didn't ask to see an I.D., it made me wonder how many fugitives and people on the lamb pay cash at hotels?

Once in the room I realized why they only charged $61.00. Nothing too terrible other than water dripping from the ceiling onto the vanity (and onto the floor) all night and a toilet that constantly made strange gurgling noises. Looking out from my window I could see a dumpster with 3 mattresses leaning up against it - one can only imagine...

I was up early this morning and on the road shortly before 7:00. Walking to my car I was surprised to see what appeared to be the entire Rock Racing caravan parked in the lot including 3 Cadillac SUV's (2 with trailers) and a large truck with trailer. Looking at Rock's website they are scheduled to race the CSC invitational in Arlington, VA on June 1st so that is probably where they are headed.

I would have loved to meet some of the guys on the team but there is no doubt they were still sound asleep as I was hitting the road. I hope their rooms were a little nicer than mine.

No comments: