Friday, January 7, 2011

It was 20 years ago today...

Well, maybe not to the day, but earlier in the week I was digging through my attic and found my old collection of cycling magazines, including an old Winning magazine from January of '91. I subscribed to Winning magazine for a number of years and it is great to look back at the time capsule of cycling memories they contain. A few years ago I posted an article about a new yound rider from Austin Texas who had a great deal of promise. I would say he reached his potential and then some.

Back in '91 Greg Lemond was just coming off two dominant years in the TdF and riders like Gianni Bugno and Miguel Indurain were coming to prominence.

Looking back to that era I don't see much in the way of cycling gear or equipment that really gets me too excited. It is hard to imagine that the Sidi mountain bike shoes shown below would have ever been a "must have" item.

Winning Magazine expressed optimism for the year ahead in 1991 with news that Motorola would sponser the former 7-11 team and the Dupont Company would step up to take over the former Tour de Trump. But there was also an editorial about the potential dangers of a new drug from Amgen called EPO which was beginning to be used by some endurance athletes, including cyclists.

I'll try to share more images from my cycling magazine timecapsules as time permits.

No comments: