Monday, January 3, 2011

Old School Columbus Racing Pics

1972 Junior State Track Championship at the long gone Murphy Raceway in Powell.(Photo from Doug Siple's Photostream)

When I was in college in the mid 80's I briefly dabbled in racing with very unremarkable results. At that time I joined Franklin Bicycle Club (FBCI) and tried my hand at a few weekly "C" races on the old Alum Creek course near Worthington. I lived just north of Graceland Shopping Center and would pedal my Raleigh touring bike to the Dairy Queen on High Street to meet up with other racers and then ride up to the course. After typically getting dropped during my race I would hang out at the finish line to watch the "real" racers finish before riding back home.

During one race the solid rear axle on my Raleigh split in half and I became aware of the failure when I began hearing ball bearings fall onto the pavement. Fearing I was stranded I asked Mike Lane, who was a mechanic with his brother Dennis at Northland Schwinn in Clintonville, what I should do and he said I could ride the bike home as long as I didn't put too much pressure on the pedals. Somehow I made it home and Mike eventually replaced the failed axle with a chrome moly axle and quick release skewer.

I've always had really fond memories of those days and remember watching guys like Randy Dull, Tym Tyler, Glenn Groves and Dean Carson dominate the "A" races. A number of FBCI alum are still actively riding or racing and it is fun to run into them from time to time. So I was really excited to stumble across Doug Siple's Photostream album a few weeks ago and to see all the terrific old cycling pictures he has posted including a fantastic folder with FBCI images. Each time I check in to see Doug's pictures there are a few more added so I think I'll be a regular visitor from now on.

These pictures are a real treasure trove. If you remember "Team Punk", "Ten Speeds Bicycle Store" or have any interest or memories of Columbus cycling from days gone by you need to check out these great images!

No comments: