Friday, January 14, 2011

Tour Down Under

Normally by this time in January I’ve had my fill of winter (even though much more of it is usually headed our way). I begin to wonder if spring and the start of the outdoor cycling season will ever arrive. Last night at the Levydrome Tom gave my spirits a lift when he mentioned to our group that the Tour Down Under begins this weekend with coverage starting Sunday afternoon on Versus at 5:00 pm. When bike racing begins on Versus I start to feel like spring can’t be too far away. The actual stage race begins next week but there is a race event on Sunday that will raise money for victims of the recent flooding in Queensland.

This year’s Tour Down Under is expected to be the last Protour event for Lance Armstrong. Although I discarded my membership card to the Lance Armstrong fan club a number of years ago, I must admit it will interesting to see him ride in the final major road race of his career.

On the local scene there are rumors of groups planning to get out this weekend for a bit of cross country skiing, including some folks Mark Wilson reported may be heading out to Slate Run. Sweetie and I are making the annual pilgrimage to Wilderness Lodge with COP in the near future for what always proves to be a fun weekend of camaraderie and cross country skiing so it would be nice to get out on the trails ourselves this weekend.

No comments: